The more ❈ Defense the player has, the less bonus damage reduction the player will have.
The formula for damage reduction is
damage reduction. For example, if Defense is 200, the formula is
or ~67% damage reduction, meaning with 200 ❈ Defense, the player takes 33% of the damage from monsters that would normally be taken with 0 defense.
This leads to a misconception that higher ❈ Defense is useless because the damage reduction only goes up slightly. This is incorrect, for as the difference from 0% to 50% damage reduction may seem more substantial than the jump from 90% to 95%, both are equal in that they double EHP (Effective Health Points) (100-200 vs 1000–2000)
calcpage = Calculator:Damage Reduction template = Template:Calculator/Damage_Reduction form = dmgReductionCalcForm result = inner param = defense|Your Defense|100|int|0-999999
If the calculator fails to load up, please report to a Code Editor.
❤ Effective Health (EHP) is the amount of damage enemies need to deal to the player to kill them when ❈ Defense is factored in. If one has 100 ❤ Health and 200 ❈ Defense, they will be able to take 300 damage before dying, as shown below.
The formula for EHP is
For example, if ❈ Defense is 200 and ❤ Health is 100, the formula is:
EHP is a useful metric for calculating which items are better than others in allowing the player to survive attacks.
Increasing Base Defense
Players do not have any base ❈ Defense by default. It can be increased by:
- Turning in Fairy Souls to Tia the Fairy
- Leveling Mining
- The Forbidden Defense upgrade in Wither Essence shop.
Increasing Bonus Defense
There are several ways to gain additional bonus ❈ Defense. They include, but are not limited to:
- Equipping most types of Armor
- Holding certain weapons (Golem Sword, Earth Shard, Wither Cloak Sword, Adaptive Blade (When Tank in dungeons), or Astraea)
- Using Accessories (ex: Gravity Talisman)
- Using Protection on Armor
- Reforging items to certain Reforges (ex: Titanic Reforge)
- Drinking the Resistance Potion
- Abilities such as Pigman Sword's Burning Souls
|June 11, 2019||0.1||Added ❈ Defense.|